Had a heart ablation. Recent screening showed abdominal aneurysm. Related?

7 years ago I had a heart ablation. I recently had a screening done and they found a 3.1 cm abdominal aneurysm. I am a healthy 56 year old. Could the heart ablation procedure have caused this aneurysm ?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ablation is not related with aneurysm...

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Heart ablation has NO relation with the Abdominal Aneurysm. Ablation is a procedure to destroy the heart tissue which is the source of abnormal electrical activity causing your heart rythm disturbance.

Aneurysm is an abnormal dilatation of a vessel due to weakening of its wall. The most common cause of Abdominal Aneurysm is Atherosclerosis. This Atherosclerosis leads to formation of Atheromatous plaques and which further leads to weakening of vessel wall and finally Aneurysm.

I suggest you to consult a vascular surgeon to follow up your problem.

Follow-up: Had a heart ablation. Recent screening showed abdominal aneurysm. Related? 6 hours later
Heart ablation procedure was stopped during procedure because the doctor stated that he almost caused a stroke. I understand what an ablation is for. I believe that my aneurysm is not caused by plaque as you stated. I have my blood reports for the past 20 years. The highest was the one I just posted to you. 114 . All others are very low. I rarely eat meat. In the past year my activity has decreased. That is probably the increase in triglycerides. The ablation caused an overnight stay at the hospital and my digital mapping disc was conveniently lost. I feel like something went wrong and caused a weakening of the wall.
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Injury to the vessel wall may also be the cause...

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

About 80% of the aneurysms are generally caused by Atherosclerosis only. Rest of the causes include -

1.Injury to the vessel wall- As it may happen during passing catheters to reach the heart (recollect your past history whether you have any procedures like this)
2.Marfan syndrome,Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
3.mycotic causes.

Exact reason can be sorted out and treatment option will be discussed once you consult a vascular surgeon.