Had a fusion 360. Can it result in strange pain and tingle in arms, shoulders and upper back?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the past week i have been feeling some strange pains in my left arm my shoulder and upper back on the left side it feels like my hand has a tingle like it asleep. I had a fusion 360 about a year ago and was wondering if this has something to do with it
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The pains in your left arm and upper back with tingling of the hand is not likely to be associated with the lumbar fusion surgery you had last year.
Your symptoms are more suggestive of cervical spondylosis.
It suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.