Had a face-lift and a neck-lift with liposuction. Why is there goossegg on neck? Why do I feel lopsided?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a facelift and a necklift (with liposuction) about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Things look pretty good, but my cheeks and neck area keep expanding and contracting- off and on during the day. It is as if I have fluid buildup that eventually subsides and then begins again. I do know salty foods seem to be anb influence. I also have a little "gooseegg" on one side of my neck-very soft to the touch-that decreases in size "a bit" with massage-but is usally there. I know that there is a recovery period, my XXXXXXX is still a little lopsided and I expected lumps and bumps, but I had never had a problem before with fluid retention- is this normal?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 53 minutes later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Do you have any fever, pain, redness of the skin, increased warmth of the skin of the area where face-lift and liposuction has been performed ?

Is there any discharge from the surgical site ?

Usually after a face-lift and liposuction is done, the excess fat is removed from beneath the skin. This leads to creation of artificial space beneath the skin which allows fluid to accumulate from the surrounding blood vessel and lymph vessels. Also the free space causes the skin to be lose and softer.

It would usually take a few weeks to months for the return of the skin to normal texture and dexterity due to the strong stretching and contracting ability of the skin.

If there is any redness, pain of the skin of that area, there could be infection which will require medical attention.

Follow dietary advice as suggested by your Doctor. Eat healthy. Drink enough water. Avoid excessive manipulation of the skin to prevent damage.

Kindly do respond to the queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.