Ask a Dentist   »  

Had a dental refilling and having prickling sensation on cheek. What could be the reason for having pressure on jaw?

Dentist
Question
i just recently had a dental refilling done in my upper right pre-molar teeth since i had gum recession there and neglected the antibiotics after the refilling. and after 3 weeks i suddenly had pain(like some prickling pain and irritation) in my cheek area and below my right eye. i had CT SCAN done and went to a ENT Specialist and he said it is because of infection from the refilling that has spread into the maxillary sinus and caused inflammation. and ruled out TREGIMInAL neuralgia. im on antibiotics for 10 days that i neglected when i had the refilling done. did the infection spread because i neglected the antibiotics when i had the refilling done? and i have little bit of lower jaw pain also. Is that because of the inflamed maxillary sinus that is causing prickling sensation on my cheek which in turn is causing pressure on my lower and upper jaw?
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes this could be because of negligence of antibiotics at the time of treatment. Detailed Answer: Hello There, Yes antibiotics play a greater role in the control and spread of the infection. Pain in the lower jaw is unlikely due to pressure from the maxillary sinus infection. Pain in the filled tooth can be because of presence of dental caries left beneath the restored tooth, when it reaches the pulp causes inflammation of pulp known as pulpitis. I would suggest you to visit to a Dentist get an x-ray done accordingly replace the filling with a ROOT CANAL TREATMENT. Take a course of Augmentin and tab combiflam TDS to relive pain. As you have gingival recession at the region avoid vigorous tooth brushing of the region. A tooth coloured restorative material can be filled in the region cervically if required. Stop use of mechanical abrasives like sticks, orthodontic appliances. Maintain a good oral hygiene. Also consult to an ENT Specialist for spread of infection in the sinus region. Hope you find this as informative and helpful, If you have any further queries, i will be glad to answer! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.

Follow-up: Had a dental refilling and having prickling sensation on cheek. What could be the reason for having pressure on jaw? 2 hours later
hello. i do not have pain in the tooth. Just irritation, prickling feeling, in the cheek area below my eye. feels like there is heaviness and pressure in that area. Is it because of inflammation in the sinus because of the infection that has spread.

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes this is beacuse of the spread of infection. Detailed Answer: Hello there, Thanks for the reply, It seems that the infection in the tooth had spread to the periapical tissue including the sinus causing inflammation of sinus known as sinusitis. I would suggest you to continue with the antibiotics prescribed to you. Apply warm moist wash cloth on the face several times. Drink plenty of water. Also get the x-ray of the filled tooth done if required it should be treated with Root canal treatment, consult to the concerned Dentist. Hope this helps out, Regards, Dr Qazi Ammara.

Follow-up: Had a dental refilling and having prickling sensation on cheek. What could be the reason for having pressure on jaw? 16 hours later
hi there When i bite on hard food like meat i get a little bit of pain below my eyes. is that because of the sinus infection?

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 2 hours later
Brief Answer: yes, could be Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome back, I would like to tell you that the pain below the eyes while chewing is a referred pain its origin is from the filled tooth. Pain while chewing and performing other movements is due to presence of high points, i would suggest you to get the x-ray done of your tooth, if there is presence of high points get it reduced and subsequently replace the filling with a Root canal Treatment. Also take the complete course of antibiotics and analgesics prescribed to you. Hope you find this as helpful, Regards, Dr Qazi Ammara.