Had a d&C done for a missed miscarriage. Experiencing shortness of breath and dizziness. Concerned

I had a d&C wednesday for a missed miscarriage. The next day I experienced shortness of breath and dizziness upon standing as well as leg pain and weakness. I called my dr and went to the er to rule out pulmonary embolism, my blood pressure was 146/96 at this point. They basically thought i was anxious and sent me home. The next day I had the same thing and asked my mother an rn to take my blood pressure it was 150/110, today same thing perfect blood pressure when sitting 103/64, 113/78, etc but when I stand or walk it shoots up.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 40 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

In the setting of a procedure (regardless of the fact that it was a minor procedure), now with persistent shortness of breath and elevated blood pressure, you need to go back and the following should happen:
1. You need labs to include an HCG, CBC and consideration of cardiac enzymes
2. You need an ultrasound to make sure the uterus is empty
3. You need a chest xray

I personally had a 32 year old pregnant patient who had a heart attack last month. This is very rare, but if this problem is persisting, and it was not a problem before. then you need to return for a full evaluation!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions.
Follow-up: Had a d&C done for a missed miscarriage. Experiencing shortness of breath and dizziness. Concerned 24 hours later
I talked with my doctors office and they basically disregarded me. Today, I have a cough, nausea, my systolic pressure is better upon standing, but my diastolic pressure still jumps 30 points in the time it takes me to stand up. My current readings were 113/73 while sitting then 118/100 upon standing.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Your blood pressure readings do not make total sense. It is unusual to have a rise in diastolic and NOT in the systolic.

You still need to be re-evaluated for the symptoms you are describing that might be related to the procedure. I will stick by my original answer.

If your doctor is going to blow you off, then you will need to get your care in an urgent care or ER setting.

Good luck and please leave feeback!