Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
if i had a cut and and another person hass a cut and the blood goes in the bloodstream but does not HIV that person should i worry
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 36 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

First, HIV isn't the only infectious disease which can be transmitted by open wounds contact. It can be some other virus such as Hepatitis B or C or herpes or some other microbes. But good thing is that the risk of such transmission is very low and there is no need to be worried. If you notice some symptoms or you find out that this person has some infectious disease, you should do tests.

If not, then there is no danger and nothing can happen from such contacts.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV? 28 minutes later
I get Pins and needles at times my arms legs at times HIV? and ny neck area too Worry?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
Hi.

You shouldn't worry. This isn't usual symptom of infectious disease or HIV. This can be found in healthy people or be related to spine issue, fibromyalgia, anxiety, or neuropathy.

If you feel loss of sensation, pain or swelling of arms and legs then it can indicate something more serious and some tests are necessary.

Follow-up: Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV? 24 hours later
Hi this is XXXXXXXI feel my glands are are swollen but my parents say they are not I do have a bad cough and sometimes puns and needles as well at times I had this for a period of time HIV related? Please help thanks
both sides of my neck

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 hours later
Hi.
Well this can be sign of any respiratory or throat infection and probably is. People always consider such symptoms HIV related as a part of acute-retroviral syndrome(these are usually seen 3-4 weeks after exposure).

Of course there is a possibility of some transmission that I ve mentioned above, but the risk is minor and HIV is the last thing to think about.

So just treat yourself as any other respiratory infection( rest, take enough fluids, chammomile tea, vitamin C). If your symptoms persist you can do HIV and Hepatitis tests,but it should be done more than 6 weeks after exposure.

Wish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV? 11 hours later
I went to the doctor's and I explained my situation what i was dealing with he checked my glands both sides no inflammation checked my pulse lungs are clear ears are clear and i told him i'm taking z pack from my regular doctor I feel much better I did not take the test cause i felt no need to he said maybe you should run tests from your doctor blood work done but wouldn't he do blood work right there for anything he did not should i think about this its all about the money doctors want to get paid though he agrees with my primary doc the z pack and let it run its course the day cold sweats he wasn't concerned about it. He said if it was night sweats that there maybe an issue bottom line he doesnt see anything wrong. Should i take his advice I think i was freaking out of nothing

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 14 hours later
Hi.

I agree with your doctor. YOu should continue with Z-pack,despite it isnt confirmed that it is bacterial infection. But it can only be helpful. There is some psychosomatic effect in your case for sure and you just need to relax and I assure you again that risk of transmission is extremely minor.
Ask your doctor about anxiolytic therapy. It may help you.
Cold sweats can be signs of any infection,allergy, but also can be seen in healthy people with temporary hyperactive autonomic nerve system. This isnt something to be concerned. Just be patient till your respiratory symptoms subside. If this persist for more than 14 days, you can do more detailed tests.

WIsh you good health.

Follow-up: Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV? 7 hours later
I have Sorartic Arthrtis as well my immune system is very STRONG I always bounce back@! leasst my glands arent swallon So what do you think is making thisFor my information Do symptons occur in about 20 years? tyou know that diease im not going to detail cause Im Confident I dont have it Since my immune is strong wouln't I really get sick wondering if an individual did something risky like over 20 yearsc ago woulnt that individual be in bad shape like get really sick from the diease

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi.

You probably mean psoriatic arthritis?
Well, I don't think I understand the question.

But as I understood you doubt that you have psoriatic arthritis because you XXXXXXX t have symptoms of it and you aren,t in bad shape.

Well, this is autoimmune disorder and every autoimmune disorder is chronic, usually lifetime disease. It is good when your immune system is strong, but it isn't good when it is TOO strong. It means that your leukocytes attacks your healthy cells in joints, skin, lungs, kidneys etc.

But it doesnt means that it is progressive or that it will cause serious consequances.
Every autoimmune disease has its phases and it can be aggravated and in asymptomatic stage many times during the life. So it doesn't cause some progressive damage. There might be some period where disease isn't active at all and then it can be triggered by some factor such as stress, anxiety, anorexia, infection or some other disease. Symptoms do occur even in 20 years, this is nothing strange.

Also, people with one autoimmune disorders are more likely to have some other autoimmune disease and this could be cause of your swollen gland and frequent respiratory infections and inflammation. There are many medicines used for it, some of them are simple NSAIDs and some are stronger and more aggressive which should be used only when nothing else is helpful.

Follow-up: Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV? 8 hours later
if you a person does something risky 29 years ago regarding AIDS wouldnt that person get really sick today since the immue system is somwhat strong?
im blind in one eye and i was close to the computer and all of a siudden I heard a pop in my left eye this was yesterdsay Should i worry? im ALWAYS a worrier

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi.

HIV incubation period can be long event up to 10 years and no symptoms may occur,but after 29 years there would definitely be significant signs of immune system disorder and serious infections would develop. So I wouldnt say it is possible that this incident caused HIV transmission.

Usually people, especially hypohondriacs watch every signs or symptoms as something serious or HIV related. There is no point of such thinking because it would only make you anxious and worried. YOur eye symptom doesnt indicate anything,if you dont have pain or vision disorders you dont have to be cocnerned.

Follow-up: Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV? 5 hours later
I meant if you doing something risky 20 years ago wouldnt you get sick from the diease HIV? i pput 29 it was a typo
whats tramission are you referring to when you said you wouldnt say? I dont follow thanks

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 hours later
Hi.
The risk of any transmission through cut is minor. It is considered to be less then 0.1% per exposure.
If you are talking about "risky" behaviour such as promiscuity or intravenous drug injections then there is signifacnt risk or HIV infections. But if you had one or few risky activities then this risk is very low of course.
If man is HIV+, symptoms of AIDS may develop fast or very slow, through 10-15 or even 20 years. It all depends from man to man. Strong immune system indicates that there is no active viral infection, but it doesnt means that person isnt HIV+.

Follow-up: Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV? 2 hours later
So your saying im SAFE

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 38 minutes later

Nothing is 100% safe; but considering what you've said the risk is minor and this shouldn't worry you. You can do testing if you have doubts, but I don't think it is necessary. Try not to look every your symptom as something serious. You are too young for some serious diseases and you should not waste your time on concerns. Just be careful and avoid risky behavior in future.

if a man does oral sex but dosnt have hiv should that person worry he said he did it over 20 years ago to another man I cant believe he told me this! woukldnt he get sick as of today 2013
he said to me he did'nt have AIDS what do you think

Hi.
Of course you shouldnt worry if this person doesnt have HIV for sure.
But, he can say whatever he wants. Unfortunately, HIV+ people sometimes hide their disease and lie about it. But, generally yes, that person would already have symptoms of AIDS after so many years so this is very unlikely that the person was HIV+. Also, even if it was HIV + person, transmission risk by oral sex is also minor.

Follow-up: Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV? 4 hours later
I went to the doctors everything is NEGATIVE my primary physician im HAPPY
What about a human bite

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 minutes later

Well done, great. Now, you can be relaxed, but in future be smart, careful and avoid risky situations. Human bite is very likely to cause wound or skin infection because it is XXXXXXX with bacteria, but it is unlikely that viruses can be transmitted into bloodstream unless there is very deep bite with open bleeding wound.

Follow-up: Had a cut and contacted another person having cut. Chances of infecting HIV? 19 hours later
I dont think the skin was broken

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 7 hours later

If so, then there is no risk of transmission.

Wish you good health.

Kindly close the answer, if there are no doubts.