Had a bare metal stent put in LAD. Taking taking 2.5 bisoprolol, 2.5 effient. How long will it take to get cured?

Question
I had a STEMI on July 12/12, I had a bare metal stent put in my LAD to correct the obstruction at that time. All other arteries are clear and normal. I am trying to determine when I can return to rehab and begin the healing process. My ECG has returned to normal. Initially it showed an inverted T. Is there any way to determine the prognosis for activity from some of this history? Daily I am currently taking 2.5 Bisoprolol, 2.5 Effient(prasugrel), 2.5 Ramapril, 81 ASA, 6mg Warfarin and 40 Atorvastatin (Lipitor). My cardiologist seems uninterested in any followup.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Hi
Thanks for the query

In myocardial infarction there is depression of ST segment on ECG due to the poor perfusion of the tissues because of obstruction but as you had stent passed in the LAD so the blood supply to myocardium is restored. so if you want to know the prognosis then ECG is the initial test but if don't rely on ECG then more invasive test is CT angiography which you already done angioplasty and no cardiologist will suggest you that.

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Had a bare metal stent put in LAD. Taking taking 2.5 bisoprolol, 2.5 effient. How long will it take to get cured? 1 hour later
Dr

Thanks for your reply. In your opinion how long does it typically take for improvement/recovery after an MI. Assuming there is some permanent scarring and performance impact (one Dr said myocardial stunning, the other mumbled 45-55% EF at the time of the MI). I had no history or medical risk factors (normal cholesteral, normal BP). Its been almost 3 months, like I said my current Dr is impossible to get appt with and doesnt followup or seem interested.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 9 hours later
Hi
Thanks for the query

The heart cells can stay alive upto 30 mins without blood supply. then they are damaged which are permanent. The are once gets infarct do not gets back to normal and the scarring is permanent. Your EF is normal that is it should be >50%. As you have been stented so the risk is almost abolished and blood supply is maintained. With your all other normal values and avoiding stress factors hope this will work for your rest of life.

Thanks

Follow-up: Had a bare metal stent put in LAD. Taking taking 2.5 bisoprolol, 2.5 effient. How long will it take to get cured? 56 minutes later
Dr

You have been most helpful. I seem to be tired a lot more since my MI. Will this pass in time? Caused by EF reduction or meds?

In your opinion what meds will be with me in the long run. ASA I assume is one of them and the Effient for a year or 2 (anticoagulant). The rest? What do you think? Hard to play hockey again while on a beta blocker and ACE inhibitor.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 9 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the compliments

Once you develop such problems then its very difficult to get back to normal again however you will improve with time. The medication you will further require are mainly anticoagulants and ACE inhibitors for the prevention of the pulmonary edema and developing hypertension. you can carry on your daily activities and can have walks after a while but playing such exertional games will be difficult for you as you will feel shortness of breath with excessive exertion. Although you can jogging for your fitness and its also quite helpful in such conditions

Thanks