Had a bad case of Gout. On allopurinol, lisinopril and aleve. How can his foot be healed soon?

My dad has a bad case of gout. He is 85 years old. this is the first bout in 3 years. This bout has lasted 3 weeks now. He is taking allopurinol at 100 mg. I also put him on a purine free and low purine diet. he still has pain and is still swollen, What else can I do to help him. He is also taking lisinopril and aleve at 200mg 2x a day. I do not like his general practitioner. He dosn't seem to care much. Dad is leaving to France with my sister on May 5th and would like his foot healed or less painful. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 41 minutes later

I understand your concern. As you have said that your father is a bad case of gout he is on proper medications (allopurinol) from his doctor. I am also glad that he is on purine free diet. The idea is to control and reduce the uric acid levels in blood.

Along with the medicine he may need an antiinflammatory pain killer to help relieve pain. Local application of ice on the gout affected knee for 15-20 minutes 3-4 times a day will help reduce the pain.

As he is asthmatic NSAID (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Ibuprofen is not advisable. So I would suggest you to consult his doctor and get prescribed a painkiller belonging to the narcotic analgesic group or if needed a corticosteroid which will reduce the inflammation and give relief in case of severe pain while he is travelling.

With the diet purine diet he should also take plenty of liquids, avoid alcohol and take regular medicines of hypertension as well as gout. These steps shall help manage the pain at present and even while he is on travel.

Hope you find this answer helpful. In case of any query please write back and I shall guide you. Please accept this answer and close this query if you have no further questions.

Take care and Warm regards
Follow-up: Had a bad case of Gout. On allopurinol, lisinopril and aleve. How can his foot be healed soon? 2 hours later
Thank you for your advice. We will follow it and request the cortecosteroid from his regular doctor along with a narcotic pain reliever. I took his wine and beer away from him 3 weeks ago. No alcohol, No yeast either for bread. I make a flat bread for him. A diet consisting of most vegetables (some have purines such as spinach), fruit, yoghurt, tofu, bland foods. no meat except chicken thighs. No fish at all. It's been extremely hard for me since I am a good cook and a gourmet. lol Have a great day. Catherine.
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 24 minutes later
Hi Cathrine;

Thanks for writing back.

It is good that you have controlled his diet and stopped wine. When you visit your regular doctor get either of the two(corticosteroid or narcotic pain reliever) and he shall be comfortable.

Keep up your good work.

Please accept this answer and close this query if there are no further questions.

Warm regards