Had PCOS and irregular periods. Haven't had periods, had lots of coffee and aerated drinks. Related?

Question
Hi

I am a 24 year old girl. I had PCOS and hence irregular periods before. But this problem got resolved due to heavy exercising. Last month I had a few alcoholic drinks 2-3 times am a 24 year old girl. I had PCOS and hence irregular periods before. But this problem got resolved due to heavy exercising. Last month I had a few alcoholic drinks 2-3 times, also my coffee and aerated drinks consumption has increased and I haven't had periods since 50 days now. Is it due to alcohol or coffee? How can it be cured?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later
XXXXXXX

I do not think that your periods are delayed due to coffee or aerated drinks.

The reason could be POCS that you had.

Please visit your gynecologist again and get your self examined. Your doctor may advise for repeat ultrasound to look for the cause.

As you should be knowing,
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance.

Regular exercise, healthy foods, and weight control are key treatments for PCOS. Medicines to balance hormones may also be used. Getting treatment can reduce unpleasant symptoms and help prevent long-term health problems.

I am happy that you are effectively doing exercise and maintaining good life style.

Please get in touch with your doctor as suggested and get the condition diagnosed.

I hope this helps.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Had PCOS and irregular periods. Haven't had periods, had lots of coffee and aerated drinks. Related? 33 minutes later
So it had nothing to do with alcohol consumption?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 11 hours later
XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you again.

The idea is to maintain healthy life style to control the symptoms associated with PCOS. Good maintenance of weight is of importance.

There is no exact causal relation with quantity of alcohol consumption and increased in the symptoms of PCOS.

Any high sugar drink consumed on regular basis and in good quantity can affect the hormones and may lead to increase in symptoms associated with PCOS. Again concrete evidence on this is lacking.

To make things clear and less confusing, for all practical purposes one should have good and healthy life style and keep alcohol and high sugar drinks to minimum.

I hope this helps.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Had PCOS and irregular periods. Haven't had periods, had lots of coffee and aerated drinks. Related? 5 hours later
I have heard that intake of alcohol and aerated drinks delays your period so just wanted to confirm with you. It would be good if you could give me a concrete answer to that.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 hours later
XXXXXXX

As written earlier there are no proven studies to document this.

These are all presumptions.

Concrete answer is no.

Dr.Pragnesh