Had Neurosurgery post brain hemorrhage due to high BP. Why does he have drowsiness and sleepiness now?

Neurologist, Surgical
My father had Neurosurgery post brain hemorrhage due to High BP. The clot was removed and he was recovering well. Lately after 20 days he has episodes of excessive sleepiness and drowsiness. the doctor recommended us for NA+ and K+ & RBS tests which came out to be normal. I took him to the hospital and he stayed there for 7 days. Another CT was done but nothing new or specific was found, doctors could not find the specific reason for that. He was discharged two days back when his drowsiness and sleepiness were normal. However he again have the same kind of Drowsiness and Sleepiness at home. He is on pack diet and still cant move What could be the cause and treatment for that. Should I again take him to the hospital.
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 3 hours later

Mild drowsiness and sleepiness is expected after haemorrhage, as blood is irritant to brain. Other reason could be cellular level dysfunction which needs to be monitored by checking sodium and potassium levels.

But, you need to observe for severe drowsiness and any fresh complaints.

There is chance of hydrocephalus (collection of water in brain). He needs periodic CT scan. Recheck sodium and potassium levels if drowsiness increases. Keep the blood pressure well controlled. Keep his head end elevated at home.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for followup query if any.