Had Lumbar Fusion, no longer on medication. What amount of alcohol I can consume?

Hi im 30 years old healthy I had Lumbar Fusion L5S1 on Dic.3,2012 i feel good no longer on medication can I drink beer and how much is the limit?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Alcohol is strictly prohibited 1 week before and 2 weeks after surgery for spinal fusion, the reason for this is an increased risk to bleeding.

As it has been almost a year since your surgery and as you are no longer on any medications; although alcohol still carries a risk of a minor bleed for all patients who have undergone a lumbar fusion, it is not completely restricted. All doctor's would still advise against it, but if consumed occasionally, it should strictly be taken in small amounts (eg. one or two mugs of beer maximum).

I hope you found my response helpful and informative, if you have any further clarifications, please write back to me and I would be glad to assist you. Or if I have succeeded in answering your queries, you could close this discussion and rate my answer.

Best wishes.