Had LAVH and cycstocele repair. Had uterus and ovaries out. What would be best way for healing it?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
Thanks for helping! I had a LAVH and a cycstocele repair last Friday. The doctor took my uterus and both ovaries. Is it beneficial to either healing or comfort to wear the XXXXXXX support panties" people sell? I didn't receive them at the hospital and the doctor didn't mention it. I appreciate your advice.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. These panties do not hasten the healing process but are comfortable. Also after a cystocele repair, when the catheter is removed, there can be some amount of incontinence. These panties can help in those cases.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Had LAVH and cycstocele repair. Had uterus and ovaries out. What would be best way for healing it? 14 hours later
Thank you so much for answering that question. I have another question: I am a choral director at a local public middle school. The students return to school on Aug. 26 (earlier than usual and exactly 4 weeks from my surgery date). What can I do to strengthen my abdominal muscles to prepare for the singing I'll need to model for them? I know I can't lift weights and my muscles are pretty weak right now. Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 7 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for asking your question. You should avoid any strengthening exercises for atleast 1-2 months, otherwise it will put pressure on the surgical site and can lead to the recurrence of your problems. Please take things slowly. Once you have completely recovered, then you can start abdominal exercises gradually.

Thank you for your reply. Will I be able to sing at least short phrases? I won't do any specific abdominal exercises but I will need to sing throughout the day in order to teach.

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 9 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for asking your question. You can sing but you will gradually need to increase the duration. Singing also puts pressure on the abdomen and too much of it can be harmful.

Hoping for the best.