Had GERD. Now feeling nauseous with excess gas formation in stomach and burping. Medication?

Dear doctor
my query is as below

Last two days i have excess gas accumalation inside my stomach

I have continous blurrps and i can feel the gas movement inside my stomach

Yesterday it got worse during my sleep. I had gas accumulation and suddenly i felt sweat in my stomach, chest, throat ,two arms and my back
the symptom went away. When i took water

However the gas movement was still there
today morning after breakfast i gave a long gap and it results in excess gas accumulation and also a sort of lump in my throat.

Last two days i am taking gelusil mps liquid and i am getting some relief

I want to mention here that two years back i had worst gastric problem with symptoms of ulcer

I consulted a local gadtroentrologist and he suggested me to take upper go endoscopy

The results said that i had gerd and grade 2 reflex esophagatis
he gave me medicines that time and the symptom went off

i get nausea too due to this gas accumulation. I don't have any stomach pain or burning sensation last two days
Last two nights i get up from my sleep due to this gas accumulation. Also sometimes i feel the gas passing through my ears and i could feel the hot flashes in and around my ears

Kindly advise
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 7 hours later

Excess gas is due to two main reasons. One is the amount of air we swallow when we chew, eat and drink. The second source is the fermentation during digestive process. There are a number of food items that can cause more gas than others. Excessive carbohydrate, legumes including urad dhal, chana dhal, baked beans, cabbage family of vegetables , apples and other fruits with excess fructose can produce more gas. Chewing gum containing sorbitol can give excess gas. People with lactose intolerance cannot digest because of lack of lactase enzyme. Celiac disease where people
cannot handle gluten that is in wheat, Rye and Barley develop malabsorption and this could lead to excess gas.

You need to keep a diary and write down everything you eat or drink for a period of two weeks and jot down the symptoms that day, like if you had more gas or less. Looking at the list at the end of two weeks may give you some clue as to what foods are giving you more gas and you can restrict them.

As for GERD , you state that prior medications were helpful. I suggest that you start taking drugs like Omeprazole, Lansoprazole, Pantoprazole or Esomeprazole daily. Make sure you take the drug
about 60-90 minutes before your main meals. You may need this once or twice a day depending on the relief.

Cut back on caffeine, very spicy foods, chocolate, dairy products like cheese etc. Same thing goes for alcohol and tobacco. Drugs like Simethicone may help a little in breaking up gas. Drink plenty of fluids.

Hope this will assist you.

I wish you well.