Had CT scan of abdomen and pelvis. Ill defined ground glass opacity visualized in right lower lobe. Cause of concern?

Cardiac Surgeon
Question
I got the results back from a recent CT scan and it noted that I had an ill defined groundglass opacity right lower lobe which my be inflammatory.
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. F. Sadruddin Shariff 3 minutes later
ct scan of whaat, abdomen head neck ??? ill defined ground glassness is inflammatory. can not be correlated unless clinicaal background is there, if its abdomen could be a lymph node could be adhesion could be infective process could be collection. mr XXXXXXX it would have been helpful abit if you had elaborated abit,. still infection is better than malignancies and complicatons., so cheers.treatabl

Follow-up: Had CT scan of abdomen and pelvis. Ill defined ground glass opacity visualized in right lower lobe. Cause of concern? 10 hours later
I have attaced a copy of report. Hopefully you can read it. I have never had pneumonia or any problems with my lungs. This is a surprise to me.

Answered by Dr. F. Sadruddin Shariff 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NEED MORE INFO

Detailed Answer:
HI
I UNDERSTAND THAT PRIMARILY A CT OF THE ABDOMEN AND PELVIS HAS BEEN DONE AND INCIDENTALY AN ILL DEFINED GROUND GLASS OPACITY HAS BEEN VISUALISED IN THE RIGHT LOWER LOBE. IF YOU CAN ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND PROVIDE SOME MORE INFORMATION I WOULD BE HAPPY TO GUIDE YOU ABOUT THE SURPRISE
1. YOUR AGE
2. HISTORY OF SMOKING ?
3. ANY CHEST SYMPTOMS SUCH AS COUGH, ? SPUTUM, BREATHLESSNESS
4. UPLOAD IMAGES OF THE CT SCAN SHOWING THE OPACITY
REGARDS
DR SADRUDDIN

Follow-up: Had CT scan of abdomen and pelvis. Ill defined ground glass opacity visualized in right lower lobe. Cause of concern? 1 hour later
I am 63 years old, smoked a little for about one year in 1998 only while socializing on weekends. No cough, no sputum, breathlessness while climbing stairs or trying to do the treadmill. A year ago i was able to do all these things but now i become winded easily. I have CD of the CT but unable to upload on the Ipad.

Answered by Dr. F. Sadruddin Shariff 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OK

Detailed Answer:
HI AGAIN
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK
I THINK YOU HAVE NOTHING MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT BUT I STRONGLY RECOMEND YOU HAVE A CHECK UP WITH A PULMONOLOGIST.
IF YOU CAN UPLOAD THE IMAGES IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PRETTY USEFUL AND I COULD HAVE OPINED BETTER; THE LEAST WHICH CAN BE DONE IS MAYBE YOU CAN REPEAT CT THORAX AFTER ABOUT 3 MONTHS AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY INTERVAL INCREASE IN THE SIZE
REGARDS
DR SADRUDDIN

Follow-up: Had CT scan of abdomen and pelvis. Ill defined ground glass opacity visualized in right lower lobe. Cause of concern? 41 minutes later
Thank you, i have schuled a visit with my F P Dr. And he will be able to review the scans. You have been helpful just advising me to follow through. I wasnt sure if i should bother with follow up. Thank you again. Portia

Answered by Dr. F. Sadruddin Shariff 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ALL THE BEST

Detailed Answer:
HI AGAIN
THE REASON FOR ME TO ADVISE YOU TO SEE A PULMONOLOGIST IS YOUR CURRENT SYMPTOM OF BREATHLESSNESS ON EXERTION.
THE REASON I SUGGESTED A FOLLOW UP CT IS THAT THERE IS A SWELLING AND IF IT IS INFLAMMATORY IN ORIGIN IT WOULD MOST PROBABLY DISAPPEAR AND IF IT DOESNOT YOU CAN STILL GO IN FOR THE HISTOLOGICAL DIAGNOSIS WHICH WOULD MAKE THINGS CLEAR.

BYE AND ALL THE BEST
REGARDS
DR SADRUDDIN