Had CT Scan for lymph nodes. What does it show?

A ct scan shows a 1.5 cm short axis dimension irregular soft tissue density adjacent to the left external iliac vessels compatible with enlarged lymph node. I have SLL/CLL ... recent dx. What is significance of: size, location, irregular?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Number of groups is important than location and siz

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX

For SLL/CLL, two classifications are used for staging of cancer.
1. Binet Staging.

Stage A:
Fewer than three areas of enlarged lymphoid tissue (lymphnodes)

Stage B:
Three or more areas of enlarged lymphoid tissue

Stage C:
No lymphnode enlaregement but with anemia and decreased platelets.

Prognosis is better for Stage A than Stage C.

2. XXXXXXX classification
XXXXXXX stage 0 :
Low risk
Lymphocytosis : A high lymphocyte count defined as more than 15,000 lymphocytes per cubic millimeter (> 15,000 / mm3).
XXXXXXX stage I :
Intermediate risk
lymphocytosis + lymphadenopathy ( enlarged lymph nodes).
XXXXXXX stage II :
Patients are also intermediate risk
Lymphocytosis plus an enlarged liver (hepatomegaly) or enlarged spleen (splenomegaly), with or without lymphadenopathy (enlarged lymphnode).
Patients are high-risk
Lymphocytosis plus anaemia with or without lymphadenopathy, hepatomegaly, or splenomegaly.
XXXXXXX stage IV :
Lymphocytosis + thrombocytopenia (< 100 - 103 /dL).

Lymphadenopathy -in the neck, axillary, inguinal as well as the splenic involvement, are each considered as "one group," whether unilateral (one-sided) or bilateral (on both sides).
Number of group involvement is more important than location of involvement in CLL/SLL.
Thus in SLL/CLL anemia, platelet count, lymphocyte count are also important in establishing the prognosis of the disease.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Follow-up: Had CT Scan for lymph nodes. What does it show? 30 minutes later
So ... I have enlarged lymph nodes: submandibular, neck, axillary, chest, abdomen. I am IB?
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Consider lymphocytosis, anemia, platelets

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you are in the Stage B of Binet staging and Stage 1 of XXXXXXX classification of CLL/SLL.
Consider your status in anemia, lymphocyte count and platelet count of blood investigations for final staging.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.