Had CABG and Maze Procedure GSM . Assessed with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Prescribed with sotalol. Safe?

I had CABG x4V as well as Maze Procedure GSM on Feb 26 2013. Most recently(two days ago) I have been assessed with Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and given a prescription for Sotalol 80mg without monitoring. Does this seem to be the proper course of action?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

That is proper and state of the art...
In situations, when attempted rhythm control had not been successful - rate control is aimed at
Sotalol or Amiodarone is initiated directly..
Assessment (if necessary monitoring) may be done later, during subsequent follow up...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck