Had 3 fusions anterior discectomy. CAT scan showed incorporation of the invertebrate graft at the endplates. Surgery?

ENT Specialist
Question
hi i had a 3 fusions anterior discetomy 5 mths ago i can't swallow food... liquid comes up my nose if i drink to fast... now i can hear my self breathe out of my right ear.. i am still in pain my voice sounds so horase.... i had a barrium swllow showed the hardware was pressing on the espohgus... the cat scan showed incoproation of the inervertbral graft at the endplates and mininal posterior spondylitic ahnge on on c6-c7 the doc is reommneding surgery to remove the cage and screws he said the reason thisi shappening is casue i am to skinny
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the reports and the history, I do feel, you could be suffering from the problems related to lower cranial nerves.

The hardware over the vertebra could be compressing over the lower cranial nerves thus causing the symptoms of relux, hoarseness and ear problems. Secondly, the choking is also related to the former problem, wherein, there is loss of sensation over the superior part of the vocal cords leading to aspiration of the secretions and thus inducing cough.

Eventhough, both the barium swallow and the CT scan shows no significant problems, it is advisable to get the lower most hardware removed, to prevent the complications.

Also, you need to consult an ENT specialist for a thorough evaluation of the vocal cords and the lower cranial nerves.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Had 3 fusions anterior discectomy. CAT scan showed incorporation of the invertebrate graft at the endplates. Surgery? 1 hour later
I have had the ent go in and there is no lessions or anythign else i came clear from all that
all my reports are showing it is the hardware and the i also have numbness on the back between te shoulder blades and very bad headaches the pain between the should blades is bad . will removing the hardware release and allow me to swalllow food

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Yes, it would be beneficial if the hard ware is removed, as this is the main cause of all your problems. This will also relieve the pressure over the lower cranial nerves (if any) and improve the present condition. Even the headache and the pain between the shoulder blades is due to the compression of the nerves by the hard ware. Hence, removing the hardware will certainly benefit you.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Had 3 fusions anterior discectomy. CAT scan showed incorporation of the invertebrate graft at the endplates. Surgery? 8 minutes later
may i ask about the cranial nerves, how do i know they are effected

Hi

Welcome back

Lower cranial nerves are the ones which supply the sensation and taste to the back of the throat. Sensory and motor functions of the region from the soft palate to the area below the level of vocal cords.

Any compression or damage to the nerves can cause loss of sensation and fuction of the soft palate, altered taste, regurgitation of the liquids into the back of the nose, frequent aspiration due to loss of sensation over the superior surface of the vocal cords, etc.

The damage or compression can take place anywhere from the exit of the nerves from the brain to the area of supply.

For additional information please refer to the link below;
WWW.WWWW.WW

Regrads
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Had 3 fusions anterior discectomy. CAT scan showed incorporation of the invertebrate graft at the endplates. Surgery? 4 hours later
Could the hardware cause this too? once thisis removed will it go back ,,,

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Yes, if the hardware is protruding into the lateral groove between the trachea and the esophagus, it can compress over the lower craial nerves thus causing the above symptoms and the removal of the same will cease the problems.

But, if there is any surgically induced damage to the nerves, then even after removal of the hardware, the symptoms may not improve.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Dr K so i wont know the out come til this is all over,,,,, what do i do if i still have pain HOPING NOT when this is all done

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Do not worry! With the removal of the implant the pain should subside. It is unusal for the pain to persist even after removal of the hardware as there will be no compression factor present.

If the pain persists even after removal fo the implant then it could be some other neurological factor associated with it, which requires further evaluation.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon