Ask a Dentist   »  

Gum bleeding, plaque on teeth, gaps in between teeth after scaling. Can I get scaling done again?

Dentist, Prosthodontics

I had scaling around 5years back due to plaque all over the teeth. From past three years, i am getting blood from teeth . From past one year, I started using Vicco Vajradanti toothpaste and getting the blood has decreased a lot. Now I could see the plaque again for my teeth. After the scaling, I got the gaps in between the teeth.
Some times from evenings, I feel bad smell in my mouth.

Questions I have:
Can I go for one more round of scaling?
Does the scaling not create more gaps between some more teeth?
Can I know the available solutions for filling gaps?
What is the suggestible frequency of scaling?

Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 9 hours later
Thank you for the query. Get your teeth checked once in 6 months, If necessary dentist will suggest for scaling. It is the deposits/scales/tartar which irritates the gums and causes bleeding, bad breath, destruction of the supporting structures [gum and bone] of the teeth. The scales irritate the supporting structures and push the supporting structures further down towards the root. This receding of supporting structures further leads to deposition of more scales and further loss of supporting structures. This would have created the gap and when the scales are removed the gap appears which was earlier occupied by scales. Scaling does not causes the gaps in between it's the consequence of not getting the scales removed regularly.
To close the gaps now soft tissue grafting from other parts of the mouth may be considered, however this requires through clinical examination.
Hope this clarifies you, if you have any doubts I am available for further discussion.
With happy regards,