Growth on hip and neck,boils,pus,scabs.Herpes?

Herpes or boil?
I seemed to have developed a growth on my hip. I had some similar growths on my neck a while back. This is the second one in my pelvic region in the last 4 weeks. The first came very shortly after they started on my neck. I often rub the back of my neck while working. I am wondering if there is any chance this is herpes and if it is boils can they spread from my neck to this area? Please give me some insight. They do have pus and tend to scab slightly. There is some moderate pain/soreness as well.

Thank you
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I appreciate the uploaded photos which you sent. I honestly strongly doubt that this is herpetic in origin. I am much more inclined to think that these represent a bacterial driven process.

Important to note in your case is that these are likely occuring around the base of hair follicles. with sweat and normal secretions of oil on the skin these follicles can become inflamed and sometimes infected with bacteria which are normally present on the skin such as Staph bacteria.

I recommend you do the following:
1) Each day use some warm compresses on the affected areas - this will help open the pores to allow any trapped secretions or oils to drain out.
2) Apply some topical antibiotic cream such as neosporin or triple antibiotic cream to the areas twice daily. There is a prescription antibiotic cream called Mupirocin which might work better but try the OTC cream first.
3) Try to keep the areas free from excessive sweating and if you do end up sweating alot - take an evening shower - briefly to again open the pores and wash away any excess oils.

I suspect these will slowly resolve even without the interventions I suggested but doing these interventions will minimize the likelihood of spread or expansion of the affected skin.

I thank you again for submitting your query and hope my response has proven to be adequate and helpful. I am available if you have any additional concerns regarding this.

Dr. Galamaga