Grommet insertion done. Child having runny nose. What should be done to stop the runny nose?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi Dr. My name is XXXXXXX my son had a grommet procedure done a week a go! he is 22 month old baby.
my question is with that procedure i thought that his running nose would come to an end but it continues heavily. is it normal? what can i do to minimise it. my son goes to creche near home, so maybe being in contact with other childern the virus is spreading. what can i give him to stop the running nose?
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 51 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for the query

Q: With that procedure i thought that his running nose would come to an end but it continues heavily. is it normal?

A: I am sorry; there is no relation between the grommet insertion and the running nose. No! It is not normal; you need to rule out the presence of adenoids and allergic rhinitis.

Q: My son goes to creche near home, so maybe being in contact with other childern the virus is spreading.

A: Yes, if the immunity of your child is less, then she will be contracting X-ray of the nasopharynx in the lateral view done to rule out the presence of adenoids. Presence of adenoids can cause obstruction in the nasopharynx and thus blockage in the drainage of the nasal secretions into the nasopharynx. Secondly, you can try using steroid nasal drops (hydrocortisone) and saline nasal spray for controlling running nose.
Avoid making her sleep under the fan or in front of the A/C blower and change the pillow-cover every night before going to bed.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon