Green colored sticky stool in child, motion mostly after feeding, on breast feeding, no external milk. Suggestion?

My baby is 3 months old from past 15 days she has motion problem. In a day 10-12 times she passes motion mostly after feeding, the quantity is very little. Since two days motion color is XXXXXXX and it is too sticky. I have consulted doctor also but still has not stoped. I do only breast feeding no external milk. Can you suggest what could be the reason and some medicine for it?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Your baby is having XXXXXXX colored stools 10 to 12 times daily from the past 2 days.

Breastfed babies, who do not have any external source of milk or feeds often have a bowel movement after every feeding for the first few weeks. If your baby is breastfeeding, she may pass motion after every feeding or may pass several times a day. Don’t be alarmed by this.

A lot of new mothers mistake breastfed stools for diarrhea.

Some babies will develop XXXXXXX stools from any iron syrup they take.

Some breastfed babies are very sensitive to certain foods in their mom’s diet. If your baby is having problems with XXXXXXX mucousy stools, blood in her stools, spitting up a lot, or a skin rash, she may be sensitive to something in your diet.

This may be a result of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. When you breastfeed the first milk that comes out (foremilk) which is thinner and lower in fat. After you have nursed for a bit, you will start to produce richer, fattier milk called hindmilk.

Babies that receive too much of the thin foremilk and not enough of the richer hindmilk sometimes have problems with XXXXXXX stools and tummy aches. If you have been switching breasts a lot instead of letting baby get a good feed on one breast, you may have problems with this.

The medication you have been given is the right one for loose stools but if it is due to any of the above causes, it will not change by these. Also if you baby has any other complaints like foul smelling stools or pain in the abdomen, bloating, etc, then you will need to get her stools examined.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.