Grade four liver laceration, no drinking, physical activity since then. Can I drink post the operation?

I sustained a grade 4 liver laceration on August 1st. I was kept in the hospital for five days and then released. I have not drank since august 1 and have stayed away from any physical activity except for working out. I was wondering if I could drink at the end of december? I have had no pains near the liver since august.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 12 minutes later

Liver is a major organ responsible for most of the vital metabolic activities in the body. Stage 4 liver injuries is severe injury and depending on that the treatment is done.
A detailed examination and extent of healing would help in determining whether you can start taking alcohol or not. So the treating Physician would be better to evaluate it.
Usually for 4 to 5 months diet modification and abstaining is advised from any substance which can irritate the liver as it would help in early healing.
Personally I suggest it is better to wait for few more months but you can consider visiting your Healthcare Provider who can guide you after clinically examining you in detail.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.
Follow-up: Grade four liver laceration, no drinking, physical activity since then. Can I drink post the operation? 20 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I just looked at my medical report and it was a 3.5 on the liver trauma scale. The doctor told my mother and I that a check up was only needed if I felt it necessary. Are there any symptoms that I should be looking for to indicate that the liver is or is not healing?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 38 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Since it has been 4 months, healing can be expected to be good by now but if you present with symptoms as pain abdomen, nausea, vomiting, yellow discolouration of urine or any body part, decreased appetite, fatigue, etc, then it can be indicative that the liver is not functioning properly and still healing.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing You Good Health!