Got wrist fracture. Is there any injection to reduce pain? Should I go for surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
im in mexico and fractured my wrist badly - they wanted to put pins in my wrist but i decided to fly home and get care in los angeles im in severe pain and now wonder if waiting is a bad idea. my concern is that treatment in mexico is not ideal along with it being my right hand, also is there any kind of injection i can get in my wrist to ease the pain? my other worry is that i may not find a dr in LA available to fix this asap other then a trauma center. my arm feels numb as well
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later

It is better to get the surgery done as decided by your orthopedic surgeon in Mexico after evaluating the fracture pattern and soft tissue condition.

You could get better results if fracture can be fixed early. So I suggest you get it done in Mexico if you are comfortable there.

If you are not comfortable for the surgery in Mexico and decided to fly home, consult your doctor for splintage of the wrist. You can get diclofenac or tramadol injections for pain control under the supervision of your doctor there.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.