Got sudden sharp pain in rib area, hurts while sitting or lying down. Proper treatment?

I currently have no insurance and I am trying to avoid a trip to the ER for monetary reason but I am a little worried. # days ago ( monday morning) as I was driving I had a sudden sharp pain develop right under my right rib area. Not in the front but on the side flank area. The pain seemed to be worse when I was breathing in and not out. Later that night I tried lying in bed to go to sleep and I could not because the pain was worse. The pain over the last 3 days has gotten kind of strange in that it will go away for short periods of time and flare up. When I say "goes away" it doesnt completely go away but it is bearable and doesnt hurt when breathing. So here are some of the key points. Hurts worse when sitting or lying down. Bearable when standing. Constant dull ache but flares up to about a 7 on the pain scale several times through the day. Tha pain is mostly located from bottom of right ribcage and goe down to hip bone area and spreads to back of ribs. The pain did not gradually come on it just "Appeared" at about a 6 or 7 on the pain scale.
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
The site of pain and the associated symptoms suggest
that you might be suffering from gallbladder problem.
I am not sure if you are also having nausea or vomiting
along with fever or chills. If you are not having these,
the only others left are bruised right lower ribs or the
lower portion of the right lung, like "pleurisy" which
Could be viral.
In any event, if your symptoms get worse, I suggest
that you do go to ther ER.
They will treat you with or without insurance.
Wish you well.