Got small movable lump on the outside of knee cap. Having pain with difficulty in walking. Treatment?

Pediatrician
Question
I found a small movable lump on the outside of my knee cap. It's barely noticeable except to the touch. However, for about four days its been extremely hard to walk, I can't push my weight up on it and I have to be careful about sitting so as not to jar it. If I do jar it in any way a sharp pain shoots up the outer side of my thigh to my hip but goes no further and doesn't affect any other part of my knee.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 9 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I think what you have is a prepatellar bursitis. It is the inflammation of a small pocket of tissue in front of the knee cap. It is usually very painful.

You need to take rest for a few days. Elevate your leg and apply ice pack to the local area.
Take acetaminophen tablets thrice daily to ease the pain.

If the pain persists consult an orthopaedic.

Hope this answers your query.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me

Wishing you a speedy recovery...