Got redness on forehead which turned black with dent on forehead. Told to be sunburn and given steroids

when i was 17 years old i got a reddishness on my forehead ...which turned into a black XXXXXXX with a dent on my forehead. We showed it to doctor, he said its a sunburn..and gave strong steriods...but the same is yet not cured.
Could you please let me know what exactly it is and how it can be cured? if required i can upload my picture.
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 minutes later
before we take this discussion further I would really appreciate if you could attach an image of concerned area. Please attach a full face view as well as an image of your forehead. The image should be of good resolution.
This can be done by clicking on upload report/ image icon or by sending the pics to YYYY@YYYY . Also mention attn dr kalpana pathak in subject line.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Got redness on forehead which turned black with dent on forehead. Told to be sunburn and given steroids 29 hours later
Please find attached the pic
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 17 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Just saw the attached images.
from the description provided and image attached, it could be morphea.
Morphea may begin as an area of erythema(redness) and induration( slightly thick and hard) and later on may heal with hyperpigmentation and indentation( burnt out phase).
Right now i would just advise you to use a good sunscreen with SPF 50 in morning and in night you may combine hydroquinone 4% with tretinoin 0.05% in equal quantity and apply. Apply this combo over the affected area in a very small amount. Also use a good vitamin E based moisturiser. The treatment is basically aimed to reduce the pigmentation first. Tretinoin has an added benefit of causing collagen remodelling so may or may not have some benefit in depressed scar. Use the medicines for a month judiciously and in small amount to prevent any side effects of redness, irritation.
The indentation can be addressed specifically and more effectively by the use of intralesional fillers or saline injections. For the same, you may discuss a qualified dermatologist in your city.

Hope that answered your query.