Got piles. Test showed high SGPT level. Are they related?

Sep 2012

Hi Dr,
My age is 36 , SGPT/ALT is 115 and SGOT is 47

SGPT is high, I don't take alcohol but I had taken pain killers under Dr's supervision 2months back.
Now I got piles 1 week back.Is it because of high SGPT ?

Please suggest me what is the next step I shoud take.I am concerned about SGPT level.
I have attached blood test report done today, you can view those.

Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 46 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

After going through your reports, I have found that the lipid profile test is to some extent worrisome apart from the parameters you mentioned.

Isolated increase of SGPT indicates hepatocellular injury. It may be due to alcohol intake, fatty liver, biliary obstructions. So, it has to be investigated first. Do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen. If no abnormality detected, then just take some liver protecting drugs like ursodeoxycholic acid. And most importantly, avoid alcohol intake and XXXXXXX foods. Your SGOT level is just above the normal range. So, that does not indicate any definite abnormality.

About your lipid profile, some parameters are in borderline zone. You should be cautious. You should avoid foods containing high amount of saturated fatty acids. Walk for minimum 30 minutes for minimum 3 days a week. It will help to prevent cardiac diseases. Do the tests every year.

Lastly, consult with your treating doctor about this for ordering the investigations required and also for further management.

Hope, you have your answers. Let me know, if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Got piles. Test showed high SGPT level. Are they related? 21 hours later

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.I would like to mention that during routine health check up in XXXXXXX 2012 I have found SGOT was 54 and SGPT was 97 now SGOT got decreased and SGPT increased.I did ultrasound of abdomen after Dr's advice & everything was Ok.

Well I never take alcohol & a vegetarian but I have noticed methyle paraben and other paraben was consumed with ayurvedic medicines where these were used as preservatives and I took mobizox and few other pain killers while treating my back spasm these could be the reason of high SGPT ?

Due to severe work pressure in the month of Sept and Oct I could sleep only 5 hours, is this could be a reason as well ?

Well today I have walked approx 4 km while following your advise :)

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 30 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

You have started walking. It is very good. Look, we cannot escape having diseases, but at least we can try to prevent it. Very good.

Now, coming to your questions.

1. If everything is alright, then you have noting to worry about. Just take the liver protecting drugs as I mentioned previously.

2. Though it is very unnatural to have this disease condition due to the use of the things you mentioned, but sometimes, it can occur. Just take these things with caution.

3. Look, stress and strain is the root of every disease in our life. So, it is possible that stress can also give rise to this type of condition indirectly. In this condition, I think walking and light freehand exercises are enough.

Hope you have your answers.