Got pain in shoulders with limited hand movements and lack of sleep. Arthritis? Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi dr. XXXXXXX
approximately 1 month ago till this moment I got a pain in mine shoulders.
Hands movement become limited and I could sleep only on my back.
My doctor told me it's titanitis but no prescribed the treatment.
In some reason I think it's arthritis. I'm 53 years old and have mild arthritis
in the both knees. Could you please suggest how can I get rid of this problem, if it possible.
Can some treatment to cope inflamation be used ?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 58 minutes later

I have studied your case.

Can you provide more details about your symptoms:
- Does the pain worsen/aggravate on exertion?
- Do you have numbness, tingling with/without weakness in hand ?

According to your history, it seems that you are having shoulder pericapsulitis [frozen shoulder]. Adhesion occurs between your shoulder joint capsule and gradually shoulder movement decreases .

Other close possibilities that can be the cause of pain is cervical disc bulge causing nerve compression.

A clinical examination and radiograph like X-ray shoulder and spine and if required MRI shoulder and spine can help us identify the cause. I would suggest these tests to you. You may discuss with your local doctor/orthopaedic surgeon and plan the tests.

Our patients of frozen shoulder usually get relief by analgesic and shoulder exercises and physiotherapy[ ultrasound and short wave diathermy]
Some patients require arthroscopic adhesiolysis, a key hole procedure to free the adhesiions in the joint, the last resort.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.