Got my tragus pierced, got sore. Feeling blocked ear. What can be the cause?

ENT Specialist
Hi. I got my tragus pierced a week ago. I'm cleaning it well and it looks okay. It doesn't hurt apart from feeling a bit sore. The problem I'm having is that my pierced ear has felt blocked for about 4 days and nothing iv tried seems to make the blocked feeling go away. Please what do I do?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 2 hours later

The important point here is that your ear is not painful. You will need serious medical attention if you develop pain at the puncture site.

The blocked sensation could be due to:
1. Wax in the ears
2. Because of negative pressure in the middle ear due to blocked pharyngotympanic tube (a tube connecting middle part of ear with part behind the nose).

I treat my patient with blocked ear with oral decongestant tablets like Ebastine/Loratidine +Phenylephereine /pseudoephedrine combination pills along with nasal decongestants and mucolytics. This off course is after excluding ear wax. You should consider consulting your ENT surgeon and start the medications if blocked ear doesn't resolve in the next couple of days.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Get well soon...
Follow-up: Got my tragus pierced, got sore. Feeling blocked ear. What can be the cause? 6 hours later
Okay thank you. Is it possible that the piercing caused this sensation? Iv been taking ibuprofen and loratidine already.. And I clean my ears regularly with cotton buds

Is it also possible to buy these decongestants over the counter or I'd need a prescription?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later

1. Ear piercing would not cause blocked ear sensation. It can cause pain.

2. Restrict or rather avoid cleaning ear with cotton buds. Cleaning with cotton buds will push the normally secreted wax inside and this may lead to blocked sensation.

3. Over the counter guidelines is locality dependent. At most locations you may need prescription which you can easily get from your local physician.

Hope this answers your question. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health