Got insect bite on thumb. Started itching and hard lump appeared. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I was hiking about a month ago and something bit me on the thumb. It itched really bad at first and there was a hard lump. Then it didn't bother me until now. It is still a hard bump, and I can't tell if this is related, but my wrist, palm and arm are starting to hurt to the touch, any ideas?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The small hard lump at the site of the insect bite is due to an inflammatory lump at the site. This is usually self limiting and resolves on its own without any treatment.
The pain in the wrist and palm are not likely to be related to the insect bite one month ago. This is more likely to be mild inflammation in the tendons or ligaments. You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X XXXXXXX or MRI.

It looks like it will resolve on its own in a couple of days. Do not take medications unless absolutely necessary.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.