Got infection on leg after femoral ostiotomies. Not cured by antibiotic. Painful to touch. Any treatment?

Pediatrician
Question
my son who is 16 had 2 femoral ostiotomies in 3 years ago but in one of the legs had an infection down to the bone after several wash outs he ended up with a vac dressing to heal from the inside out. 3 weeks ago he had the plates removed again he had an infection in the same leg he went back in to hospital had Iv antibiotics but the lower half of the scar is still slightly red and lumpy and painful to touch but they keep just giving him antibiotics but it is not getting any better i think it needs hospital admission to be on IVs once more the antibiotics do not help. My son when he gets these infections is not unwell so this hides the infection. Will it spread if not treated properly reference number 0000
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern regarding the infections and the skin condition of your son. Bone infection needs aggressive treatment by IV antibiotics for a prolonged period of time. Presence of foreign items like plates and screws used during surgery make it even more difficult to control. It is not that the infection cannot be checked and control, however, as I mentioned above, it needs aggressive managment.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or would like to share more facts regarding the condition.

Wishing your son an early recovery..

RKK

Follow-up: Got infection on leg after femoral ostiotomies. Not cured by antibiotic. Painful to touch. Any treatment? 4 hours later
My issue is that they keep giving him oral antibiotics I think he needs to be on IVs

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It shall be difficult for me to comment on the mode of administration, as it shall depend on:
1. Severity of infection
2. Type of bacterial infection and sensitivity report
Hence, I would leave it on the judgment of the treating doctor(s).

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

RKK

P.S.: In case, you intend closing, the discussion then do give your feedback.