Got hit on shoulder. Feeling weak, developed numbness and sharp pain. What's wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I hit the outside of my shoulder while tackling a guy in football. My arm went completely numb at first. but now theres a sharp pain in my shoulder and its practically impossible for me to try and put my hand on my hip or move it inwards in any way but it doesn't hurt to do that it just feels weak. What is wrong with my shoulder/arm?
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
The weakness in the arm that you are feeling without any pain is likely to be due to a nerve injury due to the impact during playing. Most of the times such minor nerve injuries improve spontaneously in 7-10 days with adequate rest and methylcobalamin supplements.
During the recovery you can also feel pins and needles sensation in the area. Avoid doing any heavy work from the arm and avoid doing all overhead activities. You may consult a neurologist in case the symptoms deteriorate.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.