Got hit on leg and noticed swelling with some broken skin. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i just had an accident. aheavy shelf fell and hit my lower leg in the back, a huge knot swelled up. there's some broken skin. i've had ice on it for 15 minutes.
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A swelling on the leg after an injury is likely to be due to a hematoma in the area. Such swellings are usually self limiting and are mildly painful. In case there is no further increase in the size then doing a cold compress and taking mild pain killers will help in decreasing the swelling over 2-3 weeks.
If there is no pain on weight bearing then a bone injury is not likely.
You can self monitor the area for any redness, pain and sudden increase in the size which are indicators of infection in the area. In such a case a physician consultation is necessary for systemic antibiotics and to assess regarding the surgical drainage.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.