Got hit on head and eye. Noticed swelling on eye. How serious is this?

Hi, I am 35 y.o. female who is otherwise healthy. I was punched in the head/eye two days ago. I blew my nose and my left eye blew up like a balloon and now I have large swollen eye. IHalf of the white of my eye is filled with blood. Also, when I bend over I feel alot of pressure in my head. Is this serious or will the symptons just subside after a few days/weeks on their own?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 10 hours later
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is a fracture of paranasal sinus by injury .
when you blew the nose there was a leakage of air from para nasal sinus and blood in the surrounding tissue.
This air emphysema as it is called goes off on it's own in 3-4 days time.
The blood as seen in the photograph attached is a sub cojunctival haemorrhage.
This will take a week to 10 days to be absorbed fully
These conditions will be relieved on their own and do not require any treatment.
The only treatment offered is pain killers and aspirin and paracetamol and take ibuprofen tab. 200 mg.if there is enough discomfort.
You will be fine without tt,and only precaution for the time being is not to blow your nose.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Follow-up: Got hit on head and eye. Noticed swelling on eye. How serious is this? 8 hours later
Thank you for your response Doctor Misra, it was very helpful.

A few more questions:
1. I have been taking paracetamol for the last day, why would this be a problem?
2. I took paracetamol as I was under the impression that ibuprofen thins the blood and would make the sub cojunctival haemorrhage worse?
3. The blood has now spread further over my eye and when I woke up today there was blood in the back of my throat, persumably from my eye or nose. Does this change your diagnosis? you recommend applying a hot compress to my eye?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
My dear,
The blood at the back of throat confirms the diagnosis of fracture of para nasal sinus.
it is from this # that blood has leaked to the nasal passage also.
People with history of heart attack and angina are given aspirin to thin their to prevent clotting of blood,so in your case you should avoid aspirin and paracetamol and use ibuprofen that again if you have significant pain or discomfort.
In such bleeds you are to give COLD compress,but time of it's usefulness is over.
As i said do not sneeze or blow your nose as that will set us back by few days.
Again,do get back to me clear any doubt.