Got hit on femur while playing. Developed hematoma with discoloration. Is this normal?

Hi- Earlier today during a softball game I was hit by a fast pitch ball about 70 mph on my femur. About 1 hour later - a large hematoma appeared. I was surprised as to how fast it bruised up with lots of discoloration- it also swelled up in into a large softball size knot.. I put ice for 15 minutes and continued on with my day. Now, 8 hours later, my whole leg, most below the injury is very tingly. Is this normal? Should I be alarmed? Please help! Thank you!
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Watch over... Detailed Answer: Hi, High intensity injury can induce traumatic injuries - either soft tissue or vascular injuries. The bleeding that occurs result in hematoma collection. Over a period of time, as hematoma resolves it cause local skin symptoms around the hematoma. Unless the large hematoma is compressing a nerve or you are still icing the injured site, this tingling is not an usual complaint. I am slightly bothered and would suggest you to watch the progress of symptom closely. If you don't feel the tingling is worsening and if you do not have limb weakness, we can wait until you see a doctor tomorrow. In the interim, you can use vitamin supplements and stop icing the injury. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Got hit on femur while playing. Developed hematoma with discoloration. Is this normal? 5 minutes later
thank you for the advice. The hematoma was on my femur and the tingling (as if ants are running around) is below the kneee, especially in my foot. Is that normal? Should I stop or start to elevate my leg? Whats the worse case scenario? Can I loose my leg?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: You would NOT loose the leg... Detailed Answer: Hi, Before I discuss further, let me assure you that you limb is safe. I haven't heard or read about a patient losing a limb after being hit by a ball!! Now coming back to your query, I said the tingling is not an usual complaint presuming you might have been hit in the front of the tight. Nerves and major blood vessel supplying below the knee are safely located behind the thigh. Therefore unless the hematoma is very huge spreading behind the thigh or you the femur is broken (which is definitely not possible after a ball hit) or if you have iced too much, we don't usually see patient complaining of tingling below the knee. And as I mentioned it is unusual, there is a great chance that you will feel better with sleep and rest. But if you notice the tinging worsening or you feel weakness of the limb, see a doctor tomorrow. Do not worry, they won't cut your limb off. They might prescribe you a vitamin supplement and antiinflammatory drug after performing a detailed neurological examination. Hope this reassures you. I will be glad to clarify further if you still have doubts. Cheers!!