Got hit on face. Scan showed no fracture. Having swollen and painful cheek. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was hit hard in the face about 10 days ago, the ER took a CT-Scan and found no broken bones. however, my cheek is still extremely swollen and painful. Should I be seen by another dr.? How long should it take the swelling to dissipate?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

You might have soft tissue injury over your cheek as on CT-scan there is no any fracture.

Soft tissue injury should resolve with time, but even 3 weeks may not be long enough.

Continue using ice, gentle massage, and protected activity.

If this swelling associated with fever and it become more tender to touch, consult your doctor immediately to rule out any infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.