Got hit on face. Black eye and abrasions cured. Noticed sudden swelling on cheek bone. Reason?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My boyfriend went over the handle bars of a mountain bike onto the street. Hit the entire side of the face. Blackeye, eye was swollen shut, abrasions that have healed up nicely. All was well. All of a sudden the cheek bone is swelling and it has been a week and a half. I do not see any reason for this swelling, the abrasions have healed.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

The cause of swelling could be fracture if it is painful to touch.
I suggest you get it evaluated by clinical examination and get an Xray of affected area done to rule out any bony injury.

Hope this will helps you. Please write back if you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.