Got hit on ear. Started feeling dizzy with hearing loss. How serious is this problem?

Question
Hi, Four hours back I was hit accidentally in my left ear by my friend and I am not able to hear now, Felt dizziness, there seem to be 80-90% heagling loss now, There is no outside bleeding, When I close my nose and give air pressure , air passes from my left ear, Pl. advice about the seriousness of the injury and what I should do now as today all clinics ar closed because of holiday.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 22 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms are of ruptured ear drum. There is nothing you can do at home.Avoid passing air through ear, watch for ear bleeding and dont put anything in ear. You can put a cotton plug to prevent any contanimation. If there is pain you can take oral analgesics till you see the doctor.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Follow-up: Got hit on ear. Started feeling dizzy with hearing loss. How serious is this problem? 5 minutes later
Thank you Doctor, How serious is this? Would it heal naturally and how long it would take for normal hearing.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 minutes later
If its just minor injury or small disruption then it might heal naturally.But if its a large tear then operative procedure like tympanoplasty might be needed.Time to recover will depend on nature and severity of injury. On clinical evaluation doctor would be able to answer these questions.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Follow-up: Got hit on ear. Started feeling dizzy with hearing loss. How serious is this problem? 34 hours later
The same was examined by the ENT doctor with Audiometry test. The traumatic CP of my left ear is 60% tear. I was advised to take (Omnacortil (predinisolone IP 30 mg), 30mg, Pantop+ and Nurokind plus (mecobalamin) for a week, Pl. advise do I need to take any antibiotics to prevent any infection and possibility of natural healing.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 minutes later
Yes, you should take antibiotics either orally or in form of eardrops. Generally uncomplicated cases take 8-12 weeks to heal. Only complicated cases or if there is infection surgery might be warranted.So, if examining doctor felt a try to natural healing should be given, then go ahead with it.Do keep close watch on progression and symptoms.Watch out for infection meticulously.

Follow-up: Got hit on ear. Started feeling dizzy with hearing loss. How serious is this problem? 2 days later
I am now taking antibiotcs Cepime-O 200 MG (Cefpodoxim) twice daily along with LAVETA (Levocetirizine) 1 at night, whether I should continue Antibiotics as well as the earlier set of medicine (Omnacortill-30 etc.) as mentioned. And pl. also advice what precautions should be taken for early natural healing and can I continue my regular activities like driving, talking, listening music etc. What food I should take and what to avoid. Regds.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
I think you can stop earlier set of medications.
There are no any measures to be taken .Only avoid swimming or excess water getting into ear or blowing your nose with close mouth.You can carry on your regular activities and have regular food.Regards.