Got hit in the ankle. Getting throbbing pain, swelling and stiffness. What to do?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i got hit in the ankle 3 days ago with a baseball and everyday day since it hurts more & more throbbing, aching, swollen, red and warm to the touch also feel stiffness what do I do?
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: You could have suffered a SPRAIN. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based on your description, I suspect that you could have possibly suffered an Ankle sprain with Hematoma (blood clot) formation at the site of injury, causing you the symptoms. The general guidelines of managing your condition is as follows - - Protect the injured area from further injury by using a support or splint - Rest the injured joint . Avoid activity for 2-3 days. - Apply ice compressions to the injured area . Ice will help calm the inflammatory response and stimulate blood flow to the area. Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day - Use an elastic compression bandage around the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could damage it further. It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow. - Keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling. - Use simple analgesics like aleve or advil to calm down the inflammation and reduce the pain response. If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, You need to get an Xray done for your ankle joint to rule out any bony injury. You should also approach an orthopedic surgeon for clinical examination and further management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Follow-up: Got hit in the ankle. Getting throbbing pain, swelling and stiffness. What to do? 5 minutes later
Thank you very much. I will follow your advice & if it doesn't get better I will get an xray. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. Please do follow the given instructions and I am sure you will get better. Have a great day.