Got head shaved. Ne hair turning grey. Normal?

Hello Doctor,
My daughter is 20 months old. Last month we got her head shaved. Now her hair have started coming. Few days ago we noticed that couple of her hair are turning grey. Is this normal ? We moved to Memphis, TN, USA from India two weeks ago.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 38 minutes later

Thanks for your query

I would be able to address this query better if you can answer few of my questions.

1. Is her head size (circumference) increasing?
2. Is she gaining weight normally?
3. Is she developmentally normal?

Initially growing hairs usually change there texture and color. It doesn't indicate a serious concern.

Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: Got head shaved. Ne hair turning grey. Normal? 2 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, she is gaining weight normally and her head size is also increasing. Her development also appears to be normal. Our only concern is whether this greying of hair indicates some vitamin/mineral etc deficiency.

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 16 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up.

Zinc deficiency and vitamin E deficiency can cause hair discoloration.
They can be added to the diet after consulting your doctor.
Kindly get your child checked by dermatologist for any fungal infection on the skin of scalp, which can cause hair discoloration.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.