Got hard hit below knee. Fluid filled pocket appeared, tender to touch. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
Hi, While playing soccer, I was kicked in the XXXXXXX three weeks ago just below the knee - painful, felt like a dent in that spot. Now I have a pocket of fluid in that area and it still tender around the pocket. Anything to be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Every trauma brings a risk of bone fracture (even if the symptoms do not point it) and blood accumulation due to vessels rupture. Such blood accumulation can cause hematoma which sometimes turns into and abscess.
After 3 weeks most of mild contusions (except fracture and hematoma) should disappear and no pain should be present after such time.
That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor and have and X-ray performed. Soft tissues ultrasound should be also considered in case of no changes in the X-ray.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Got hard hit below knee. Fluid filled pocket appeared, tender to touch. Should I be concerned? 2 minutes later
Thank you, I will. Could it be a blood clot?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 minute later

Blood clot would cause calf swelling, tenderness, and it would become painful when touching or walking. If the pain is well located, this is rather not a blood clot.

Hope this will help.