Got hand jobs on two occasions. Could I have HIV transmission?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
hi dr, about 2 years ago, i did something stupid, i went for a massage twice, and on both occasion i got a handjob from the masseuse, about a month or so after that , my wife got pregnant, and exactly 3 months after her pregnancy, she was tested for a routine hiv test, the test turnout to be negative, we then continue to have regular sex.
my daughter is 1 year and 4 months old now, over the pass year , i have been so worried, that i might be infected with hiv during my hand job session, and i might pass it to my wife and daughter. is there a chance for me to get hiv from the handjob dr ? please help iam so worried
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you have told that you got handjobs in two occasions.

But, HIV is transmitted mainly by blood transfusion, unprotected sexual intercourse, and from mother to child and in low percent by needle prick injury.

So, from this discussion, it is clear that for transmission of HIV, mucosal contact is necessary. In case of handjob, there is no mucosal contact. That means, you were in receiving end, and HIV does not get transmitted from hand of the infected person.

If these are the only episodes, then do not worry, everything will be alright. But, if you have any unprotected sexual intercourse, then there is really high chance of infection.

Now, for confirmation, you can do an Elisa test for HIV 1 and 2. It will give you mental peace. It is overall confirmatory because, window period of HIV infection is 6 months.

One more point is, your wife were HIV negative at the time of pregnancy. So, there is very low chance for passing it to your daughter. So, do not worry about it.

Lastly, do not worry and do not get depressed. You can do the test just for mental peace.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Got hand jobs on two occasions. Could I have HIV transmission? 1 hour later
in your oppinion dr, do i need to do the an hiv test?
i heve read in some website that handjobs are zero risk activity for hiv, what doyou thinhk dr?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 8 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, i have already told you that HIV cannot get transmitted through hand of an infected person. Mucosal contact is necessary. SO, as such there is no chance of infection.

As you are thinking too much about this, i have told to do a HIV test. A negative test result will give you mental peace. Nothing else.

Ultimately the decision is yours.

In my opinion, there is no chance of getting the infection.

Hope, you have your answer.

Regards.

Follow-up: Got hand jobs on two occasions. Could I have HIV transmission? 8 minutes later
beside the mental peace, in a purely medical point of view, do i need an hiv test?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 14 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, from a medical point of view you do not need a test, as far as the hand jobs are concerned. But, in case of other events, it is not applicable.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.