Got hairline fracture in head of fibula. Treatment?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi I got hairline fracture in head of fibula just want to know about treatment
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cast is not needed. Brace is used.

Detailed Answer:
Fibula is the non weight bearing bone of the leg. The hair line undisplaced fracture with minimal swelling requires only a short period of non-weight bearing activity for 6-8 weeks.
Casting is usually not needed if there is not much soft tissue damage.
Isolated fibular fractures, when the ankle joint is unaffected, often can be treated with simple protection. In these situations, a brace is sufficient to support the ankle. Crutches are often used for a few days or weeks to allow swelling and pain to subside. Once pain has lessened, you can begin rehabilitation to resume mobility exercises, strengthening and walking.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Got hairline fracture in head of fibula. Treatment? 3 hours later
I am working as a chef just want to know that can I still work or not I got some pain the ankle as well .I got no swelling or not much pain in the leg.could you please tell me what precautions should I take

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do take rest for 2 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Since your work involves standing for long hours, it is best to take rest for at least two weeks till the pain subsides considerably. Use an ankle brace while standing and bearing weight on the foot afterwards. You can remove the brace while resting.
Do take mild pain killers for the pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Got hairline fracture in head of fibula. Treatment? 49 minutes later
hi could you please tell me that can still go to gym and do upper body workout or not

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can do the upper body exercises.

Detailed Answer:
You can do the upper body workout without bearing weight on the foot. There should not be any problem in going to gym.
Regards.

Follow-up: Got hairline fracture in head of fibula. Treatment? 2 days later
hi thanks for your help just want to know that its hard for me to take off from work could you please tell me what precaution I should take during work.i have attached my report as well please reply thanks

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can continue with your work.

Detailed Answer:
The fracture is a minor one- only trabecula is involved. You can continue with your work and use a crepe bandage or elastic knee brace for relief. You can also take frequent rest breaks during your work. In case the pain is severe and persistent then you may have to take rest for a week to allow the bone to heal properly.
Hope this helps.
Regards.