Got cut on finger. Noticed swelling and blisters on the cut area. Any risks?

Dermatologist
Question
I cut my finger about a week ago and wore a water-logged bandage for too long, after swimming. It erupted with blisters, not on the cut but near it and the finger swelled. Now it's still swollen but the blisters all popped and the swelling isn't much. It just looks red and raw on front and back. I took a couple of pictures I can send. Do I need to do anything?
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 15 hours later
Hi
Thanks for posting your query. I need to know couple of more information before I could answer.
1. Do you have any symptoms like pain or itching or burning?
2. have you used similar water logged bandage earlier?
I need to have a look at the pictures. Please send it across.
I will get back to you once I receive these information.
Good day,
Prasad PVS

Follow-up: Got cut on finger. Noticed swelling and blisters on the cut area. Any risks? 27 minutes later
1. I had pain and itching before but none now.
2. No, I'd never used a water-logged bandage before.

I uploaded the pictures to "reports" but will try to find another way, or I'll click on "upload new reports" if I can't find any other way.
By the way, the original cut is 95% healed now and there are no red lines radiating from it to the red swollen part.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 13 hours later
Hi
Thanks for sending the two pictures.
I think it is induced by plaster only.
This could be a contact dermatitis.
I suggest you the following.
1. Use barrier cream like zinc oxide in the day.
2. Use mild steroid creams like hydrocortisone at night.
It is better to use steroid cream on the advice of a doctor.
3. In the long run a patch test for plaster may be done to confirm the diagnosis.
I hope that it is clear and you have no more questions.
Good day
Prasad pvs

Follow-up: Got cut on finger. Noticed swelling and blisters on the cut area. Any risks? 10 hours later
I decided to see my doctor and he said my finger's fine, no need to do anything. But he gave me a tetanus shot just in case that was combined with the whooping cough vaccine.

Thanks for your reply. You're right of course about it being induced by plaster only.

Hi
I once again thank u for giving me a chance to help you
Good day
Prasad pvs