Got bug bite on forearm. Should I go for medical treatment?

I have allergic reactions to bug bites with a history of cellulitis. I have a bite now on my fore arm that is the entire size of my forearm with a line traveling up my arm. Do I need to see a doctor right away or can I wait until the morning?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello Dear and thanks for writing in
Treatment of bug bite depends on the type of reaction. If there is only redness and pain at the site of the bite, application of ice is adequate treatment. Clean the area with soap and water to remove contaminated particles left behind by insect. You may apply antihistamine such as diphenhydramine cream or other antiseptic cream at the site. This is all you have to done in home care.

As you have a history of allergic reactions and cellulitis, in my opinion you need not to take a chance. Go to the ER get antihistamine like Pheniramine (Avil) in injectable form or as advised by your doctor. You may need proper wound care and a course of antibiotic depending upon the examination of the site and symptoms present.

Hope I have answered you question. Write again if you have another query. I will be happy to answer it.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh