Got blood clot in the brain due to hypertension leading to paralysis. What treatment should be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
My father-in-law has got Blood clotting in brain due to Hypertension and attacked wit paralysis (right side) . He has been hospitalized and under treatment. but still no progress in his recovery.Can you please tell me what is the problem?
Also suggest the best hospital in Hyderabad,India.
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 58 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing about your father-in-law.

Based on your description, he seems to have suffered a blood clot in the brain due to high blood pressure leading to paralysis of one half of body.

There are two types of problems-

1. Ischemia- in this condition, blood supply is blocked to a part of brain.

2. Haemorrhage- in this condition, a blood vessel ruptures leading to haemorrhage (bleeding) in the brain.

In both these conditions, paralysis occurs.

If the patient is seen in the first four and half hours, specific treatments are available to dissolve the blood clot in the "ischemia" type. However, after that, the treatment is mainly supportive.

Treatment includes- control of blood pressure and other risk factors such as diabetes, cholesterol, etc; physiotherapy, feeding by nasal tube, medicines to reduce brain swelling, and surgery in some selected cases.

In Hyderabad, good hospitals for brain stroke treatment are Apollo jubilee hills, NIMS Punjagutta, CARE Nampally, XXXXXXX Somajiguda, etc.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Got blood clot in the brain due to hypertension leading to paralysis. What treatment should be done? 4 minutes later
He has got Haemorrhage in the brain. he has been hospitalized on monday(12-Nov).
Still doctors are saying like more couple of days are required for any further surgery/operation.
We are cluless and worried upon his present condition.Is it so XXXXXXX and cxritical?
Is it curable?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

In brain haemorrhage, surgery is required if the size of haemorrhage is big, which poses a threat to the patients' life. However, if the size of haemorrhage is small, no surgery is required.

The size can increase in the first 4-5 days after the onset, after that the risk of worsening is less. That is the reason, doctors say wait for that much time.

Brain haemorrhage is a serious condition, with high rates of disability. So, if a person survives the stroke (about 70-80% chance), then many of them are left with some degree of disability, such as weakness of arms and legs, speech and memory problems, etc.

However, with good physiotherapy, many people make recovery (it may take a few weeks to months though, to achieve a good recovery).

Please get back if you want any more information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar Md DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Got blood clot in the brain due to hypertension leading to paralysis. What treatment should be done? 18 minutes later
Can you please suggest best Doctor's name?
Also is it possible for you to consult and see him and the reports at Care Hospital, Banjara Hills?
Can i have your personal number so that we can contact you in emergency?
Please help.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

At Care Hospital, Banjara Hills, please speak to Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX neurologist, who is a very good doctor.

I would be pleased to see his reports at Apollo Jubilee hills next week, as I am out of station this week.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)