Ask a Dentist   »  

Got bit on tongue. Noticed swelling, hurts to talk and swallow. How to overcome this problem?

ENT Specialist
I bit my tongue earlier today. It hurt for a while, but now it's painful to talk or swallow- exceedingly so..

Tongue is very tender. On the right side is where the pain and swollen part is. Hurts to talk and swallow. Underneath my right jawbone I can feel and massage part of the pain- still hurts to massage it. looking at the tongue all of it is slightly discolored which can be scraped off (probably because of the chloraseptic spray I tried to use for the pain to no avail. And there's a small bloody scab on the tongue now I'm assuming which is where I bit it. But if my tongue is completely still in my mouth there is no pain except for a very slight throbbing.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later

I have gone through your query. You seem to have bit fairly hard leading to severe pain on swallowing and even speaking.

The severity of tongue bite injury can only be discovered by a careful clinical examination. Any traumatic injuries are followed by inflammatory process which causes pain and swelling. You may have injured the muscles of tongue which might be causing the severe pain up to floor of mouth from where tongue muscles are attached. Thus the pain while talking and swallowing.

Inflammation settles down in a few days. Antiinflammatory analgesics such as Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day can bring down inflammatory changes earlier. You should be feeling better with this drug; however it is advisable to consult an E.N.T surgeon. He/she can carefully access the trauma and consider suturing of split ends (if present) and prescribe antibiotic to prevent bacterial contamination.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

With Regards