Got ankle sprain. Swelling and bruise appeared with pain and tingling sensation. What is wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have sprained my ankle. There is swelling bruising and pain. I can move my foots and toes without pain. And slightly move my ankle with minimal pain. I am 2 days in to the injury and my foot has begun to tingle. I am very concerned about the tingling.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query

During ankle sprain,there might be possibility of injury to the superficial nerve fibers.
This might be the cause of tingling. Do not worry about this . It will recover in 1 to 2 weeks. Follow the principle of RICE (rest, icing,compression by crepe bandage but not too tight, elevation of foot and ankle).

Hope I have answered your query .Let me know if you have any more concern.
Please accept my answer if you have no further query.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon