Got a steam burn. Is there any possibility of having scar.

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
Ok so I got a steam burn over a month ago. It no longer hurts. Does this mean I now have a scar?
Just wondering.
Thanks
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 37 minutes later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

As per your problem you have got a steam burn over a month ago on hand near thumb which no longer hurts. You want to know any possibility of the scar.

I have gone through the picture thoroughly (thanks for sending good resolution picture) and after seeing the picture I can very boldly say that this is not at all a scar or anytime in future also it would not be going to form so.

Now explaining about the what the picture shows- It simply shows hypo-pigmentation which we call as "Post inflammatory Hypo-pigmentation" or "PIH".

This is a common condition after any injury such as in yours due to steam burn. Medically our skin contains some cells in the superficial layer of the skin which are known as "Melanocytes". So as there is injury to skin, so also these mealnocytes temporarily stops functioning or have altered functioning. This light color of the skin leads to the formation of PIH.

Along with above, it can be due to falling of the skin which is damaged by the steam or any injury which forms the scab (the blackish -brown colored skin after steam burn). So the new skin is always lighter in color than previous one. So this was the cascade of events in yourself.

But the above thing could have formed scar if the injury by steam would had been deeper than what it was in your case. This particular injury we call as dermal injury. This kind of dermal injury always leads to scarring depending upon the level in the dermis. But this is not in your case!!

Now for the PIH you need not to do anything. The things will resole itself in few weeks to months time. At the maximum you can apply any bland cream or moisturizer such as white petroleum gelly for two times.

So just relax for the simple situation and by doing above measures you would be totally alright!!

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Got a steam burn. Is there any possibility of having scar. 11 minutes later
Ok so this is still normal. Its just a bit odd as there is no raised scab so I wondered if its permanant or not. Its not on my face so not a big deal! Curiosity.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 minutes later
Hello dear,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

As I said previously that this is totally temporary and will take the normal color in next few weeks to months of time. So no need to worry.
I hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or else you can close the discussion an rate the answer.

"Wish you good health and glowing skin"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia