Got a pink lump on neck below ear. Arm falls asleep and feeling bloated. Looking for treatment

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've got a pink lump on my neck a few inches below my ear. I have been very low in energy. My arm falls asleep frequently and randomly. I feel bloated.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The bump on the neck below your ear could be a lymph node.

Lymph nodes are part of the of the immune system helps in fighting against infections. They are like police man of our body, it pops out whenever there is ongoing infection in the vicinity and become inflamed or enlarged. The conditions may range from trivial infections such as a throat infection, to life-threatening such as cancers.

With respect to your condition the swelling below the ear could be either because of scalp infection such as dandruff, folliculitis, boil, etc. or infection in the ear canal. Feeling low in energy and bloating is suggestive of a generalized viral infection.

You need to take pain relievers such as dicolfenac/ibuprofen and an antibiotic after the consultation of your doctor. Avoid using any ear buds to clean the ear and drink plenty of water to keep you well hydrated. Doing hot fomentation will help in reducing the pain and swelling.
In case the swelling does not subside then it needs to be investigated to detect the cause for specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.